Thread: London Times - Quote of the week

London Times - Quote of the week

Couldn't have said it better myself!

Subject: LONDON TIMES - QUOTE OF THE WEEK‏

Interesting point of view Affirmative Action: "South Africa is the only country in the world where affirmative action is in the favour of the majority who has complete political control. The fact that the political majority requires affirmative action to protect them against a 9% minority group is testament to a complete failure on their part to build their own wealth making structures, such that their only solution is to take it from others."

Finally, a word recently coined to describe South Africa's current political situation.

Ineptocracy (in-ep-toc'-ra-cy)

- a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.
    Regards
    Nikki Viljoen

Viljoen Consulting
    083 702 8849
    nikki@viljoenconsulting.co.za
    http://www.viljoenconsulting.co.za

"If I want your opinion I'll give it to you" or "Lead, follow or get out of the way!"

We do not have a democracy, we have a kleptocracy.

Winston Churchill likened taxation to plucking a goose - "The maximum of feathers with the minimum of hissing".

Until our Silent Majority become the Loud Majority, we will continue to be treated like geese that are to be plucked as often and as short as possible.

Or an old Scots toungue twister as used in Government circles:

"I am not the pheasant plucker, I'm the pheasant plucker's son,

I'll be plucking pheasant's until the pheasant plucker comes".
    Republic of South Africa
    E: bm@ealabhan.co.za
    T: 031-561-6842
    F: 086-609-4609
    C: 082-492-1055

Senior Member Subscriber
    Blog Entries
    It is stunning that a very few people are so feared by the many - but look at Hitler and the Jews.
    Judith
    Software Africa Sales Director
    Earthlife Africa Joburg Branch Co-ordinator
    011 802 2685
    082 389 3481
    judith@softwareafrica.co.za

Making the world a better place with software and activism!

That quote of the week has been around for several years.

I am split on it.

On my left hand I tend to feel that it ignores 300 years of suppression which we are all very aware of, and most of are a bit weary of, but are none the less on the lower part of the moral low ground.

On the other hand (the one which is a bit right of the other) I am enormously frustrated by a situation which my father fought so hard to beat out of us as children - that there are only people, not black, white, brown etc. He taught us that all people are equal (in the 60s, 70s and 80s) that they should only be divided on ability.

I am so frustrated at the way inwhich we are being encouraged to reward mediocrity where the primary concern in employing people is based on the amount of pigment they possess.

My fear is twofold:
    1. We are breeding a generation of employees who walk easily into a job, based not on their capability, but on their skin colour. These people are by far the lowest of the low in any big organisation, and are there to simply bulk up the BEE points. Their young white counterparts are unemployable, and so by necessity have to become entrepreneurs, and by extension employers. In years to come the employers will still be white, and the canon fodder will still be black. That is sad.
    2. At some stage in the future the young useless ones who have no incentive to improve themselves will grow up as well qualified non productive packers, call centre operators and front of office bank clerks, who still earn bugger all. They will also have children needing education, food and clothes. And they will be angry.

I am scared of a future South African spring following the winter of their discontent.

It's a bit like treating "flu like symptoms" with aspirin and not with malaria mooti.
    Mark Corke
    Suitegum Sells Businesses
    Mergers, Acquisitions, Rescues, Knowledge

083 399 2666
    www.suitegum.co.za
    | skype: markcorke | +MarkCorke | LinkedIn | @MarkCorke

There is no paper that I could find called the London Times ( there's a toy shop in the US called 'The London's Times' ). The quote mostly crops up in posted comments, including one signed k#ffirbasher!

Do you have an original link?

I expected to find it on Snopes, but it ain't there!

On the other hand, under the ANC we can expect AA to be around for many years yet - at least until every last sibling, cousin, uncle & aunt is safely aboard the gravy train.

AA provides waaay too lucrative pickings to let go of it just yet.

Real++
    Software Engineering & Consulting
    (+27)(0)82 825 9797
    LinkedIn

The quote has to be fake - Malaysia has had affirmative action for the majority since ca. 1963. In fact, this is the reason the ANC (and Mugabe) is so pally-pally with Malaysia: they want to see how their local AA will pan out. Well, the news is that in 1963, Malays owned 18% of the economy, the rest was more or less completely owned by Chinese (who made up around 15% of the population). After half a century of severe AA laws, the Malays own a whopping 20% of the economy, and the ~6% Chinese population the rest. The Chinese are emigrating in large numbers due to AA and the Malays are growing in large numbers due to fertility incentives, but still the economy remains firmly in the hands of the minority.

In case any of you is ever tempted to complain about our AA, go have a look at Malaysia. NO private schools (except the select, politically connected few) are accredited for matric. Meaning, unless you go to a vastly inferior public school, you can't get to university in Malaysia. Furthermore, even if you did go to a public school, you will NOT be allowed to study certain degrees if you aren't Malay (or are bribing a politician). Our BEE laws are like peanuts compared to the Malaysian ones - what is happening in Zimbabwe has more or less been the law in Malaysia for donkey's years.

And (yet?) they are prosperous and have some of the lowest unemployment stats in the world.

There is no religious freedom worth mentioning in Malaysia, either, yet they are at relative peace most of the time.

The reasons for this are not simple to understand, but suffice it to say that our religious, cultural and social mix make it highly unlikely that AA will follow the same economic route as in Malaysia.

On the other hand, comparing us now to us 30 years ago: This forum would have been banned long ago for all the anti-guvmint vitriol it was spewing. We'd all have been on some sort of watch list, if not hit list. However bad this guvmint is, it's still not half as (morally) bad as what we had. The fact that the old guvmint was particularly good at planning makes us long for that particular aspect, which is woefully lacking in our current guvmint. But overall, we are way, way, WAY better off now than we were (morally) 30 years ago.

So, in sum: We are better off now than we were then and we are better of here than we would have been "there" (whether Zimbabwe or Malaysia or China or Iran or Syria or ...). Let's stop feeling sorry for ourselves and enjoy what we've got.
    (Dr) Frank Muller
    www.BoostMyBrain.co.za

Senior Member Subscriber
    Blog Entries
    Good points Frank - now we just have to work for the future we want to build using the communities we live in to assist us. The government just isn't going to deliver, so we might as well ignore them and gradually vote them out
    Judith
    Software Africa Sales Director
    Earthlife Africa Joburg Branch Co-ordinator
    011 802 2685
    082 389 3481
    judith@softwareafrica.co.za

Making the world a better place with software and activism!