PDA

View Full Version : Jhb and northern territories

MarkCorke
28-08-2011, 13:18
A few of the northern members started agitating for a get together during last week, so I thought I would jump in and offer our place as a meeting place instead of the usual pub setting.

I quietly tested the water using the email tongue tip test to see the response from the usual suspects. I was greatly relieved to see that it was generally favourable. Unfortunately when picking a date, it is never easy to please everyone, so we grab a date and go with it.

We have chosen 8 September - Thursday.

And because times are tough we are going to resort to the tried and tested bring and braai format. We have sufficient fire space and tables and chairs and that sort of thing. So you need to bring your favourite meat and beverage, wine, spirit or juice, plus partner and kids in tow if you are so endowed and inclined.

As far as fires we go, we have the traditional South African direct flame tan and turn method, two Webers for the more discerning indirect barbecue flavour, and if someone can help me connect up the gas, we also have untried gas braai for the apron boys. So bring whatever suits your style from burned boerie to chicken with a beer up its jack, burgers or fillet.

I am based near Clear Water Mall in the Little Falls area. I will email all who are coming with details on how to get here.

So all the Joburgers, Pretorians and visiting Uitlanders, we look forward to seeing you.

Tim
28-08-2011, 13:27
Count me in!

I'll try and twist Jules's arm to come along too seeing as she's never been to one of these get togethers before.

Tim

KCS
28-08-2011, 13:46
Thanks for offering your place for the get-together Mark. I’ll be there.

Cheers

KC

AndriesH
28-08-2011, 16:00
Thanks for the offer Mark. Count me in unless the date conflicts with my business travel.

I shall be disappointed if I don't make it!

Fiona
28-08-2011, 18:04
Should be good for me too ....so long as someone else braais for me.

Nigel Hamilton
28-08-2011, 18:56
so long as someone else braais for me.

cocky comment deleted..... :)

Sharon
28-08-2011, 21:08

yeah... altho I am quite good at slapping the steak on, turning it and removing!!! :) I don't even have to put the tongs down!

shaddup Nige! there's a good boy... just make sure you are there! or Fi and I will ... ..........

AndriesH
28-08-2011, 21:27
shaddup Nige! there's a good boy... just make sure you are there! or Fi and I will ... ..........

... do something unspeakable to you involving tongs .....

MarkCorke
28-08-2011, 22:30
... do something unspeakable to you involving tongs ........and wors.

Nikki
29-08-2011, 07:22
I will be there

Gillian
29-08-2011, 08:41
Hi

I'll be there but will also require labour for the braaing......

Sharon
29-08-2011, 08:58
...and wors.

NO! that's my friend Sharon who does that :)

Little Leo
29-08-2011, 09:39
Wish we could be there.... s'pecially to see wot Sharon's gonna do with the braai tongs ;)

Tim
29-08-2011, 10:13
Aunti Sharon prolly won't even need the braai fire.

The weather's bound to be warm enough that she'll just eat the meat without any extra cooking being required.

Tim

MarkCorke
29-08-2011, 10:25
Hi

I'll be there but will also require labour for the braaing......

It's a braai, girls.

We have braais to give the ladies a break. Don't you know that? :)

Nikki
29-08-2011, 11:09
It's a braai, girls.

We have braais to give the ladies a break. Don't you know that? :)
A break from what? Last time I checked the ladies still do the salads and the running around and cleaning up!

JudithNkwe
29-08-2011, 16:15
Will have to miss this one alas

Fiona
29-08-2011, 16:39
Uh Oh - between Nigel and Nikki, this could be thee rumble in the jungle. How about we each donate some bucks to the Corkes to buy Woolworths salads - then no one has to labour....
Now to decide my tipple of choice. Summer is on on the way so leaning towards G&Ts.

Sharon
29-08-2011, 16:54
Timothy!!! I do like the outside seared... :)

as for tipple Fi... the Corkes have deelishus tasting water... one of the few places to which I don't have to carry bottles of the good stuff!

Nikki
30-08-2011, 08:32
Just heard from Dyonne (she is currently on the highway, on the way to client), she and her partner would also like to join us

Johan
31-08-2011, 18:40
I have diarised
Looking forward seeing you guys again.
Johan v Staden

Nikki
04-09-2011, 02:23
Timothy - Your home made mayo is done.

Ness - I will also be bringing a bottle of home made pickled onions (with a touch of heat) - is there anything else I can bring?

Paddy
04-09-2011, 14:15
I have been waiting to see how the health and weather bears up. I look forward to meeting you all.
Mark, when do we get your new address?
Or perhaps even better, if it's not too much of an imposition, do you think you could collect me? That will save my daughter a drive.

Tim
04-09-2011, 14:45
Oh wow! Thanks, Niks!

I look forward to tasting it.

Tim

JudithNkwe
04-09-2011, 19:34
I am seriously organising resigning from my CPF once I find a replacement - I believe I have given my all

MarkCorke
04-09-2011, 19:42
Ness - I will also be bringing a bottle of home made pickled onions (with a touch of heat) - is there anything else I can bring?Another bottle?

Nikki
05-09-2011, 02:29
Another bottle?
Yip - another bottle - no gadgets were involved, but a sharp knife was used.

AndriesH
05-09-2011, 07:14
Aha! Seems I'm only departing on Sunday the 11th, so I shall be able to see you guys after all. Yay!

Sharon
05-09-2011, 08:59

Ness - I will also be bringing a bottle of home made pickled onions (with a touch of heat) - is there anything else I can bring?

beetroot? [haha! jy will mos die 'bottling queen' wees!]

Nikki
05-09-2011, 10:01
beetroot? [haha! jy will mos die 'bottling queen' wees!]

Only bought fresh beetroot last week, so it won't be ready but I will buy some

Nikki
05-09-2011, 10:02
Smiley Jacques will also be there and I may just bring a friend

MarkCorke
05-09-2011, 11:03
Okay.... slight change:

Earlier in this tread we said that we would do the whole bring and braai pay as you go thingy, and we will provide the fires and tables and chairs.

Then Fiona suggested buying in some Woolies salads, which is a welcomed idea.

But then Nikki said that she had made some home stuff which she would bring along.

So we thought that everybody should bring something to share, provided it is home spun to a certain extent.

So you can bring
a salad, or ingredients for a salad (a lettuce, a tomato, even a pepper corn)
a pudding
some ice
your secret herbs and spices
a salad dressing
a roast boar
a photograph
a song
a joke
some advice
grace
an ashtray
love for the basset (but no food for her)
home made beer, mampoer etc..
etc...

As big or as small as you wish and can afford. But it has to be something you can share with all of us, and it has to be something you have brought from home, as far as possible. (Boars, cutlery, crockery and out of season vegetables excepted).

So far we have

fires
enough glasses
chairs
tables
pickles
advice
some jokes
predictions
friends

Nikki
05-09-2011, 11:16
We just need some directions Mark

MarkCorke
05-09-2011, 11:28
We just need some directions MarkYip, I will email them to all who are coming.

JudithNkwe
05-09-2011, 15:01
Envious doesn't cut it! Enjoy guys!

Little Leo
05-09-2011, 21:30
Envious doesn't cut it! Enjoy guys!

Plus 1!

Fiona
06-09-2011, 09:49
So we thought that everybody should bring something to share, provided it is home spun to a certain extent.

Is Woolworths homespun enough? (That is a rhetorical question)

Sharon
06-09-2011, 11:32
well there is only ONE thing that could possibly be construed as maybe semi-necessary with meat..

In the words of my Irish grandad

"Only two things in this world are too serious to be jested on, potatoes and matrimony"

Of the two - I'm prepared to venture close to potatoes :)

so I'll bring a potato salad

Johan
06-09-2011, 19:55
Still need assistance with the gas connection ?

MarkCorke
06-09-2011, 21:03
....As far as fires we go, we have the traditional South African direct flame tan and turn method, two Webers for the more discerning indirect barbecue flavour, and if someone can help me connect up the gas, we also have untried gas braai for the apron boys. So bring whatever suits your style from burned boerie to chicken with a beer up its jack, burgers or fillet.

Still need assistance with the gas connection ?Oh, there's a plan!

Seems the gas bottle for the braai has a much bigger hole than the gas braai has a wotsit! Haven't looked at it since I noticed that slight inconvenience.

Ness
07-09-2011, 09:11
And for those who are able to join us Mark has chosen birthday cheesecake!

Nigel Hamilton
07-09-2011, 11:09
Eish, just been informed that the play my daughter is in on Wednesday(tonight), runs for 2 days, and we are booked into the Thursday show.........sorry guys! Have a few for me!

Tim
07-09-2011, 12:12
Eish, just been informed that the play my daughter is in on Wednesday(tonight), runs for 2 days, and we are booked into the Thursday show.........sorry guys! Have a few for me!
It must be play season or summing. My daughter's in a play that runs last night, tonight and tomorrow night.

Fortunately my sweetheart has said she'll handle Thursday night so I can still do the BM thing.

Tim

Phil Cooper
07-09-2011, 12:15
Mark

You can get a converter for gas braai hole on bottle.

MarkCorke
07-09-2011, 16:11
Mark

You can get a converter for gas braai hole on bottle.Sure you can do that... but can you drag an insurance broker to a skop on the west ront?

Johan
07-09-2011, 18:37
Oh, there's a plan!

Seems the gas bottle for the braai has a much bigger hole than the gas braai has a wotsit! Haven't looked at it since I noticed that slight inconvenience.

Will bring adaptors with. Big to small and, visa versa.

Tim
07-09-2011, 18:58
And for those who are able to join us Mark has chosen birthday cheesecake!

Does that mean he's bringing some or we all have to bring some?

Tim

Ness
07-09-2011, 19:10
:) ..... I'm bringing some

MarkCorke
07-09-2011, 23:11
I have sent the address to everyone who is coming, and then sent to KC as well, incase anybody picked up that he is not on the mail list.

If anyone has not received directions, please shout and someone will help. Unfortunately, I will be out for the whole day Thursday.

If anyone else wants to join us last minute, please feel free to drop us a line, and we'll send directions.

Michael
08-09-2011, 00:30
Hope you have a fantastic evening. Also note time of your post . 11:11 ?

KCS
08-09-2011, 08:26
I have sent the address to everyone who is coming, and then sent to KC as well, incase anybody picked up that he is not on the mail list.

They were hoping you wouldn’t notice Mark, but sorry for them, I’m going to gate crash this party :cool:

But fear not, I cannot stay late. One of my clients in my outdoor advertising business requires a night photograph of their billboard to check on the illumination, and the only time I can organize to have it done is this evening. So I will have to leave at about 8pm.

I have quickly scanned the thread to see what time it starts, so apologies if I have missed it, but from what time can we start arriving?

Cheers

KC

Ness
08-09-2011, 08:57
Anytime from 5:30 on will be great. I have sent an email with amended directions (just a small change)

Nikki
09-09-2011, 06:23
Thanks Mark and Ness - I had a really good time and it was great to see everybody again.

MarkCorke
09-09-2011, 07:00
Well that was fun.

Gillian
09-09-2011, 08:20
Hi Mark and Ness

Thanks for the hospitality! It was good to meet the faces behind the "comments".

Have a good weekend.

Gillian

ealabhan
09-09-2011, 08:49
My apologies to Mark and Ness and everyone else. I had intended to pitch up, but unfortunately work intruded. I had a network failure on a site where we are rolling out +-600 new VoIP phones. Obviously this needed to be fixed, and we finished at about 8pm.

Hope there's a next one.

Vine
09-09-2011, 10:01
Yep thanks for opening your home and having us spend some time with you.

Tim
09-09-2011, 10:21
Mark & Ness,

Thanks so much for your wonderful hospitality.

It was so much more personal having the event at your house and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

I must apologise for pouring Coke into your piano and for parking KC's Harley in your swimming Pool, and that thing with the woman on the table was really in poor taste, I confess, but I feel those are minor things that I'm sure your insurers will take care of and shouldn't preclude me from future invitations.

Tim

MarkCorke
09-09-2011, 10:45
I must apologise for pouring Coke into your piano and for parking KC's Harley in your swimming Pool, and that thing with the woman on the table was really in poor taste, I confess, but I feel those are minor things that I'm sure your insurers will take care of and shouldn't preclude me from future invitations.

TimYar.... Phil's a bit grumpy this morning with all the extra paperwork before the rugby, but he'll get over it.

AndriesH
09-09-2011, 13:09
Tim

Damn!!

That'll teach me to arrive late!!

Thanks Mark & Vanessa

Vanessa
24-08-2013, 11:34
So when's the next one? :D Does anyone want to try the Keg & Filly in Sunninghill? Went there for my (surprise) birthday party and the steak and eggs were sooooooooo good.......

Phil Cooper
24-08-2013, 18:47
Like it!

You suggested - means you choose date and time.

MarkCorke
25-08-2013, 11:53
Like it!

You suggested - means you choose date and time.Yip. Those are the rules.

AndriesH
25-08-2013, 12:36
Yay! Good diarrhoea!

Come on Vanessa. We're waiting...