Thread: PC dead slow, please help

PC dead slow, please help

Hi

I am dead in the water. After my brand new cell failed now my PC is on strike too. It became super slow.

I managed to restart it (took long) and I managed to do a backup. Even opening only EXPLORER (file management) is a slow painful exercise. I then started a malware scan (MalwareBytes Anti-Malware) . After 18 hours it scanned 96000 files and found nothing. It progressed very slow at times, but now seems flowing reasonaby fast wih the scan. So I expect to find nothing when it eventuelly finishes. Then I will run a AVAST scan too. As I am very careful with suspect files I doubt there is anything nasty on it.

What if nothing can be found?

HD has plenty of space.

What else could it be?

I am working n my wife's laptop now, but its a pain.
    Houses4Rent
    "We treat your investment as we treat our own"

marc@houses4rent.co.za
    083-3115551

- Residential Serial Property Investor
    - Specialized Letting Agent & Property Manager (www.houses4rent.co.za)

Update: it has scanned 148645 files now and has detected one object. I do not know what yet. I guess that is good news as there is hope that the one object might be the problem.
    Houses4Rent

marc@houses4rent.co.za
    083-3115551

Have you done a "Turn off System Restore" Marc?

Control Panel
    System
    Click System restore tab
    Enable "Turn off System restore"
    Click apply
    Then
    untick "Turn off System restore" (so that it will be on again)
    Set it to about 7%
    Click apply
    Click OK

Hope that helps, always helps my dinosaur when it starts to slow down
    Company Logo Design Studio

Graphic Design | Illustration | Web Development | Female Voice Over (Please email for voice samples)
    Jenni
    T Jenni: 072 831 5927
    E-mail: jenni@littleleo.co.za
    Linkedin: Jenni Raath
    [/URL] Web: www.companylogodesign.co.za

Apple Macintosh and PC Based

Hi Jenni, thanks. no, I did not try yet as I never knew about it untilo now. if it just slows down a bit I restart and that clears it. This one is different. After 25h scan of nearly 600000 files it found one object which seems harmless according to Google and I zapped it anyway. After I restarted it told me my harddrive is damaged (BAD STATUS). It still works albeit slow at times, but I guess it could collapse anytime.
    So its seems there is no hope other than replacing that thing which causes me headaches. I am on XP and know my way around it. But I do not have the XP discs to reinstall. Is there maybe a Cape Town BM wh has those still lying around?
    I have a W7 disc from Germany, but if I remember correctly I tried to install that before and it failed. It says "distribution for new PC". My mother bought a new machine and did not need the 64 bit version. So maybe it was partly pre installed an this disc is not the full version. No odea how it works. Not keen to move away from XP anyway.

I also do not know how to create an "image" of my harddisc, but I know its too complicated to explain to a IT idiot like me.
    Last edited by MarcL; 18-08-2013 at 20:27.
    Houses4Rent

marc@houses4rent.co.za
    083-3115551

When I needed to buy a new disk for my daughter, Acer were able to install Win on it so long as they had the old disk to be able to see what version OS was on it.

I only had to pay labour for the install.

That they screwed it up and I had to have it redone elsewhere is a separate issue....

Real++
    Software Engineering & Consulting
    (+27)(0)82 825 9797
    LinkedIn

Thanks, but to my knowledge nothing will fix a defect harddrive. One if my (IT savy) clients said he would try to clone it for me so I go shopping for a new disc tomorrow. Let see what happens.
    Houses4Rent

marc@houses4rent.co.za
    083-3115551