Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Power surge

Victor is right.

There are basically 4 ways to kill the appliance : lightning (from TV antenna or even down from overhead power lines which the surge suppressor at your "incomer" didn't catch), spikes on the mains (caused by all those fridges, aircons, etc [motors] along the line starting up at the same moment), under- and over-voltage.
    (Under-voltage occurs regularly in Zimbabwe, Mozambique, etc because of poor monitoring at ZESA, old, sick monitoring equipment, incapable staff, etc etc etc...
    The problem with low voltage is that nearly all motors then draw more current causing over-heating in the windings, so POOF! the motor burns out! Similar for over-volts. Fortunately we don't have this problem for very long periods regularly in ZA.)

Prevention strategies.

1. Switch off appliances AT THE WALL when the mains fails or better still pull the mains plug out to prevent a really high voltage jumping across the "OFF" switch terminals, but this is very unlikely so some will say that it's overkill.
    You can leave some lights* on to know when your mains has recovered, giving you some time to switch everything back on, long past the major spike/s when the supply recovered.
    2. Install surge suppressors between the wall plug and appliances to protect sensitive stuff like TVs, compu's, etc. My thought is that if it's not fitted with a fuse it's suspect. What Victor said, they usually contain MOVs so they should have a fuse which blows when one or more MOV/s have been "killed" to tell you the surge suppressor has been destroyed - still a lot cheaper than a new TV....
    3. Install a decent lightning protection unit between antenna and TV/decoder and ensure it's properly earthed (to enable it to do its job effectively)!

My thoughts.

Cheapy suppressors are possibly just that.

* Incandescent lamps are inherently low-sensitive to spikes. Most compu power supplies have circuitry built in to delay supply into the compu until voltage is stable, but then.....
    Adrian Okker - 073 964 9145 (office)
    Surepower Generators and
    take a tour at www.thegardenvillage.co.za

Thanks all. For now I stick to my manual methof to delay sockets on my BD a few minutes after the power came back on. My wife saw the Ellies surge protector somewhere so I might get one as extra measure for my new fridge. Fit is tight so I would have to hide it into the cupboard above.
    Houses4Rent
    "We treat your investment as we treat our own"

marc@houses4rent.co.za
    083-3115551

- Residential Serial Property Investor
    - Specialized Letting Agent & Property Manager (www.houses4rent.co.za)

Mark did you notice the R20 000 insurance you get with the Ellies plug?

Yeah, I saw that now and found one simple one without TV combo gimmicks. Will lookout in the shops for it.
    http://www.ellies.co.za/index.php?id=425
    But I am sure the R20k cover comes with plenty of small print...
    Houses4Rent
    "We treat your investment as we treat our own"

marc@houses4rent.co.za
    083-3115551

- Residential Serial Property Investor
    - Specialized Letting Agent & Property Manager (www.houses4rent.co.za)