Thread: We have created more jobs: Zuma

Senior Member Subscriber Sharon's Avatar
    Blog Entries

We have created more jobs: Zuma

some interesting stats... grab the salt

I'm glad employment has gone up marginally - probably government sector judging by previous factual reports - as the population has been increasing somewhat

Actually... at least its a comparison to the previous 5 years of 'reign'!

Author: Sapa
    12 March 2014 23:30

A lot of work has been done to fight poverty and inequality.

A lot of work has been done to fight poverty, unemployment and inequality since 2009, President Jacob Zuma said on Wednesday.

"We have created more jobs than before. Employment is now higher than it has ever been, at 15 million people," Zuma said in a statement.

He was speaking during the launch of the election edition of the Progressive Leader magazine produced by the ANC Progressive Business Forum.

"More of our people have been lifted out of extreme poverty. Our social grants, received by over 16 million people, are one of the critical instruments in poverty alleviation," he said.

He told guests of the work the African National Congress had been able to accomplish since coming into government.

Zuma said more than R1 trillion had been invested in national infrastructure projects, compared with R451 billion in the previous five years.

"Nearly 500 informal settlements have been replaced with quality housing and basic services, thus providing our people with dignified housing," said Zuma.

More was to be done in the area of sanitation and water provision in the next term, he added.

On business, Zuma said government had done a lot to create a conducive climate for business to thrive. He said the initiatives taken by government would translate into stronger domestic growth and more jobs.

Among the initiatives was the call to buy locally produced goods. He said the party wanted the state to buy at least 75 percent of its goods and services from South African producers and support small enterprises.

"We have also done well in promoting and protecting the country's automotive sector, which is a valuable source of foreign direct investment.

"We are pleased with the progress in the growth of this sector and

welcome all the major investments that have been made," said Zuma.

He called on the private sector to respond appropriately, by increasing investment, production, exports and employment.

Zuma said private sector investment accounted for 63 percent of total investment. In addition, the private sector employed 77 percent of all working South Africans, he added.

"We therefore need active private sector participation in boosting inclusive growth to eradicate poverty and unemployment," the president said.
    Sharon

Courage is not about having the strength to go on.. it's about going on when you DON'T have the strength!

I was at a "Risk Management" workshop yesterday afternoon.

Apparently in Rustenburg (or the surrounds anyway that kind of area near Marikana) the police are no longer registering or investigating cases of theft of copper because it messes with their stats!

So the result now is that I don't believe any of these stats! They are made up to make people look good!
    Regards
    Nikki Viljoen

Viljoen Consulting
    083 702 8849
    nikki@viljoenconsulting.co.za
    http://www.viljoenconsulting.co.za

"If I want your opinion I'll give it to you" or "Lead, follow or get out of the way!"

I know I am late to the party (again), but my math skills are being tested here (even if the stats are wrong, they still seem terrible)...
    I am taking all references from StatsSA own document (http://beta2.statssa.gov.za/publicat.../P03022013.pdf), and the statement above

* So in a country with a population of 52M people, only 15M are employed? Even taking into account approx 19.2M either under 16 or over 60, that's at least 18M unemployed or self-employed (and unregistered)... By my calculation thats at least a 54% unemployment rate!?
    * 16M are getting grants, so 15M people are paying taxes for grants for 16M people?
    * 77% of those 15M people work in private sector, so again, 11.5M or 22% of the population is paying for EVERYONE ELSE?

Sorry, even with that BS, the numbers are shocking.
    Kevin Caine
    KLEVA Systems-Projects-Crew

ICT Solutions and Application Developers - ICT Project Managers - Shuttle & Transport
    Sole suppliers & developers of KLEVA software solutions
    Email: bm.forum@kleva.co.za
    Office: +27 31 7006235
    Fax: +27 31 7009752
    Web: www.kleva.co.za

Yep - there are more people being employed - all JZ's cronies in government!
    Regards
    Nikki Viljoen

Viljoen Consulting
    083 702 8849
    nikki@viljoenconsulting.co.za
    http://www.viljoenconsulting.co.za

"If I want your opinion I'll give it to you" or "Lead, follow or get out of the way!"

WELL RESEARCHED ARTICLE - says it all.

PHIL COOPER
    Phil Cooper Insurance Brokers (Pty) Limited
    198 Jutlander Road, Beaulieu, Midrand.
    PO Box 31114. Kyalami, 1684.
    (P) 011-702-1328 (F) 011-702-1360 (C) 082-903-4754
    www.philcooper.co.za
    Authorised Financial Services Provider - Licence No. 17239

Quote Originally Posted by KevinCaine View Post
    * 77% of those 15M people work in private sector, so again, 11.5M or 22% of the population is paying for EVERYONE ELSE?

Sorry, even with that BS, the numbers are shocking.
    What this understandably irate statement ignores is that everybody in the country pays tax every time they buy something, by way of VAT.

This was pointed out to me recently when I had a similar rant.
    Mark Corke
    Suitegum Sells Businesses
    Mergers, Acquisitions, Rescues, Knowledge

083 399 2666
    www.suitegum.co.za
    | skype: markcorke | +MarkCorke | LinkedIn | @MarkCorke

Oh good grief!!!

I had to look up the meaning of 'fire pool'!! Now they're all scurrying around trying to make everything look like a security feature!

Real++
    Software Engineering & Consulting
    (+27)(0)82 825 9797
    LinkedIn

@Mark, understand that, but here I was looking at the earned income to paid salary/grant side.
    When we look at Treasury report (http://www.treasury.gov.za/publicati...2013%20WEB.pdf), you can see that VAT doesn't cover everything, we get money from all sources (or read taxed to death on all sides).
    Personal Income Tax still accounts for the majority (+-35%) of money in (VAT +-27%). If we take that into consideration with the budget values (http://www.treasury.gov.za/documents...ne/FullENE.pdf), then you can see that Just the salaries paid to government employees exceeds the income from Personal income tax, so in a way the situation could be seen as worse, and I haven't even looked up the grant figures yet.

Obviously there is a lot more complication than the simplistic figure, but it can still be said that effectively, from an income/salary perspective, 22% of induviduals are covering the salary/grant income for the rest. Even those that earn an income from government, grants, etc still pay VAT and other taxes, so it is offset.

Now the point is that it is a bad state of affairs, even if we believe the government figures.
    Kevin Caine
    KLEVA Systems-Projects-Crew

ICT Solutions and Application Developers - ICT Project Managers - Shuttle & Transport
    Sole suppliers & developers of KLEVA software solutions
    Email: bm.forum@kleva.co.za
    Office: +27 31 7006235
    Fax: +27 31 7009752
    Web: www.kleva.co.za