Thread: Printer cable help

Printer cable help

I need a centronics parallel port (25pin) to usb printer cable. Anyone know where I can get one?

I started googling and then I realized that can't work. USB is a serial format; centronics is a parallel format!

But then how the hell does this work???
    ( I see they have 9 left in JHB )

I guess it must have a tiny pcb in the centronics shell.

Real++
    Software Engineering & Consulting
    (+27)(0)82 825 9797
    LinkedIn

Thanks for your help Andries, I must say even the googling I did wasn't helpful, Google is only helpful if you know what you are looking for. I called them, they have stock and I will pick one up shortly.

You can get parallel to USB converters at Incredible Corruption. Just check your presentation. The Centronics plugs in one side and th USB to the other. Some have teh USB already fitted. Just make sure that the male/female connections are the right way round.
    Republic of South Africa
    E: bm@ealabhan.co.za
    T: 031-561-6842
    F: 086-609-4609
    C: 082-492-1055

Quote Originally Posted by ealabhan View Post
    You can get parallel to USB converters at Incredible Corruption. Just check your presentation. The Centronics plugs in one side and th USB to the other. Some have teh USB already fitted. Just make sure that the male/female connections are the right way round.
    Incredible's unfortunately not much help, well not here on the West Rondt!

Hi Ness,

The cable you need isn't just a cable, it's a whole pile of electronics to convert the data between serial and parallel formats, as Andries pointed out.

You do indeed get a cable with the electronics built into the plastic moulding around the larger of the two connectors so that the whole affair looks like it's nothing more than just a cable with a USB connector on one end and a 25 pin parallel connector on the other but you can be sure the electronics are in there otherwise it wouldn't work at all.

I couldn't tell you who actually has stock at the moment but one place that usually does is Esquire Computers in Samrand.

Unfortunately it's not a commonly sold item so very people carry them and you may end up having to drive to somewhere like Esquire in Samrand to get one.

http://www.esquire-shop.co.za/ProductDescription.aspx?id=6540

If you do decide you want one from Esquire then let me know. You can't just go there and walk in as they sell to dealers only.

Tim
    I want a Times New Roman in the streets,
    and a Wingdings between the sheets.

Thanks Tim, I think it is the same as the one Andries found, also out there in Midrand http://www.scoopdistribution.co.za/p...roducts_id=354

Quote Originally Posted by Ness View Post
    Thanks Tim, I think it is the same as the one Andries found, also out there in Midrand http://www.scoopdistribution.co.za/p...roducts_id=354
    Thats a bloody good price you can not get the components for that cost.
    Victor

Knowledge is a blessing or a curse, your current circumstances make you decide!
    LED lighting solutions - www.simplelights.co.za
    Solar lighting solutions - www.microsolve.co.za

Matrix, the shop down the road found me a cable for R129, collected it, no problem, that it seems was the easy part. Old reliable printer connecting to Windows 7....now is when it gets difficult. I am trying to find drivers for my Canon LPB1760e for Windows 7 but Google is not obliging and neither are any of the Canon sites. Any better ideas?

Republic of South Africa
    E: bm@ealabhan.co.za
    T: 031-561-6842
    F: 086-609-4609
    C: 082-492-1055