Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: TV appliance problems

Yup and yup. The ANT coax plug on the DVD is for record purpose only and the TV (output coax socket) is pass-through, so you MUST use AV, S-Video or "Component video" (?) outputs to the TV as there is no RF output from the DVD itself.
    I was under the impression that a DVD would be like a VCR but there we are : wrong is what I was!

Fortunately I had bought the RF Modulator (R150, HiFi Corp, old stock - Mica sells Ellies' unit for R399!) so the remote TVs can 'see' the DVD output.

I still think for the low cost of a few components the DVD manufacturers should have given the option of RF output, but they think otherwise.
    Bear it in mind, though, if you are thinking of connecting a DVD to more than 1 telly.....

Problem solved.
    Thanks, guys!

I wonder if a RF Modulator that converts a coax to AV signal will work with the new digital SABC signal. They will be lots cheaper than the set top boxes that the Gummint will be punting.
    Republic of South Africa
    E: bm@ealabhan.co.za
    T: 031-561-6842
    F: 086-609-4609
    C: 082-492-1055

Just to be clear----

If we receive TVs 1 to 3 through DSTV, we will not need the set top box gadget?

We haven't owned or needed a TV aerial for about 15 years. We simply use channel 133 (about three times a year).
    Mark Corke
    Suitegum Sells Businesses
    Mergers, Acquisitions, Rescues, Knowledge

083 399 2666
    www.suitegum.co.za
    | skype: markcorke | +MarkCorke | LinkedIn | @MarkCorke

Adrian, component video is the thre colours separately (Red, Green, Blue) and audio on a separate line as well. If your TV has component inputs, use this way rather than S-video or AV. The less multiplexing and subsequent de-multiplexing the better.

If this is a new DVD player, doesn't it have an HDMI output ? That is first prize.

Dave.
    InterNEDI - Any files, anywhere, anytime, automatically.
    Fully automatic Internet data transfer.
    KrantzKloof Software cc - 031-764-2642.
    www.internedi.com info@internedi.com

Quote Originally Posted by ealabhan View Post
    I wonder if a RF Modulator that converts a coax to AV signal will work with the new digital SABC signal. They will be lots cheaper than the set top boxes that the Gummint will be punting.
    I lost you here, Iain.
    The RF Modulator converts video & audio signals (VA) into RF (radio frequency)(coax) ready to become a transmitter, albeit at very low power so that ordinary TV's can receive the signals via ANT plug (RF) and convert to audio and visual for hearing and viewing.
    Who and what is "new digital SABC signal"?
    Help me understand more.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveSoane View Post
    .... a new DVD player, doesn't it have an HDMI output ? That is first prize.
    Dave, thanks and yes, the Philips DVDR3600 has HDMI connects but my ancient TV doesn't, so there's still no help to the remote TV's, but thanks for the thought.

Very soon SABC TV will change to digital and you gonna need a digital box to decode the signal.
    Victor

Knowledge is a blessing or a curse, your current circumstances make you decide!
    LED lighting solutions - www.simplelights.co.za
    Solar lighting solutions - www.microsolve.co.za

You okes with your fancy schmancy gadgets, next you'll be telling me SABC will broadcast colour pictures on this new "digital" format
    Kevin Caine
    KLEVA Systems-Projects-Crew

ICT Solutions and Application Developers - ICT Project Managers - Shuttle & Transport
    Sole suppliers & developers of KLEVA software solutions
    Email: bm.forum@kleva.co.za
    Office: +27 31 7006235
    Fax: +27 31 7009752
    Web: www.kleva.co.za

Quote Originally Posted by KevinCaine View Post
    You okes with your fancy schmancy gadgets, next you'll be telling me SABC will broadcast colour pictures on this new "digital" format
    Yes they will, but the colour is not that crisp, as most users will still be using candles to project the image, since ESKOM has not delivered the electricity to their houses yet.
    Victor

Knowledge is a blessing or a curse, your current circumstances make you decide!
    LED lighting solutions - www.simplelights.co.za
    Solar lighting solutions - www.microsolve.co.za

Yup, last week when we lost power, we had to watch TV by candlelight.
    Republic of South Africa
    E: bm@ealabhan.co.za
    T: 031-561-6842
    F: 086-609-4609
    C: 082-492-1055